The Mission of the Society is to advance the professions of the energy geosciences - as it applies to geology; foster the scientific, technical learning and professional development of its members; and promote the awareness of the profession to industry and the public.
To accomplish this Mission, the Society has established five Goals:
- Advance the scientific, technical, and professional development opportunities of its members;
- Encourage scientific and technical advancements for Energy Geosciences;
- Advance Geology in Canada, especially as it relates to petroleum and other energy geosciences;
- Develop a sense of pride and community for all Canadian Energy Geoscientists; and
- Advance the national recognition and prestige of the Society.
To download this image in .jpeg format click here
The Canadian Society of Petroleum Geologists (CSPG) was founded in 1927 as the Alberta Society of Petroleum Geologists (ASPG). The name was changed to its present form in 1973 to reflect the Society's national representation. The primary goal of the Society is to promote and further the study of petroleum geology and its related sciences. There are over 2,500 regular members residing in Canada and in 30 other countries. Headquarters of the Society are located in Calgary, Alberta.
The objectives of The Canadian Society of Petroleum Geologists (CSPG) are to promote the science of geology, especially as it relates to petroleum and natural gas exploration and exploitation, to foster the spirit of scientific research throughout its membership, and to promote a public awareness of the need for professional and well trained scientists.
For a full account of the CSPG's history, please download the following document:
CSPG History (PDF)
CSPG Timeline (PDF)